Saturday, September 22, 2007

Scotland!


The trip to Scotland has made a lot of things click for me. I realized how many scholars, friends and lovers of Scottish extraction have profoundly shaped my life. From economist Adam Smith to my wild red-headed friend Jill Guthrie, from Scottish moralist Francis Hutcheson to my first kiss Matt MacKenzie, from poet Robert Burns to my first love.

Which led me to musing about the Scottish character - deep thinkers. Prone to both asceticism and romanticism; brooding and exuberance. Moreover, they could sell ice to an Eskimo. They've spun a dark history of slaughter and gray weather into yarns of brave hearts and magnificent landscapes, all fueled by single malt whiskey, hearty ales even heartier food (love the steak pie!!).

More later. We're off to climb Arthur's Seat!

lb

No comments: