Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Riding in Iceland!

We've spent the past two days here at Eld Hestar and it has been phenomenal - gorgeous and sturdy ponies, kind and intelligent Swedish young women as our guides, shooting stars, and Northern Lights! Ok - so it was a little cold on the ponies at times but nothing we NW gals can't handle. And the scenery and riding more than make up for it - plus, as you can see from the photo, they dress you in snowmobiling type suits so you are really pretty warm except for your face, hands and feet - I eventually got myself totally warm enough but Sasi suffered a bit on the last ride, "Meadows and Mountains." The last bit was sheer heaven for me, climing the green and rocky heath on a very sure-footed and strong black pony with one eye!! He was the best! So sure of himself. Lots of creeks and rivers to cross - it was an off-road Betty's dream.

Now, were are off to another farm accommodation near the glaciers!

2 comments:

kate said...

Wow! So cool...too bad Sasi doesn't like horses! : )

Thanks SO MUCH for the package for Anna; I can't tell you how much she loved getting mail from Saskia from London! We sent one off in return yesterday.

Still, almost daily, "How many days until Saskia comes home?"

Unknown said...

Hi Laura,

The pictures of horsebackriding in Iceland are beautiful! I wish I was there, of course.

It sounds like you and Saskia are having a blast. I know it will be hard to come back, but I'm looking forward to seeing you.

Sima