Monday, October 15, 2007

ICELAND!!!


Coming here is the culmination of a 10-year long yearning for me. In some ways, I had built it up so much in my mind, I couldn't help but being disappointed. In others, the country has totally lived up to my expectation. The climate - yes it's gray and damp and raining some of the time, but this is punctuated by periods of brilliant blue sky and white clouds - absolutely fabulous to gaze at as i floted on my bac in a sea of hot steaming salty water surrounded by lava rock. In a word the Blue Lagoon is SUBLIME - we will take pictures when we return on Friday and spend the night in Nordic spa luxury.

Today, we are off to Eldhestar horse afrm to ride for a couple of days. Did you know that they do not allow the import of any kind of horses to Iceland? All horses here are purely Icelandic ponies. What a treat it will be to ride them.

But first, a few other images from Reykjavik - which is much sleepier and quiet than I imagined. It is scarecly the size of Spokane and feels smaller. But the streets are lined with adorable houses sided with metal and trimmed in brightly painted wood. I want to live in an Icelandic house like this is the country! Something to aspire to.






No comments: